- Color Coordinated Canvas Package with Hardtop Includes: Windscreen, Side Curtains and Storage Bag
- Twin Simrad NSS9 EVO3 chartplotter/multifunction display
- Cabin L-shaped couch, convertible to full berth
- Cockpit Bow Port Lounge Cushion with Storage Underneath
- 36 quart carry-on cooler with dedicated storage
- Double helm seat with exclusive seat lever with forward and aft adjustment
- AM/FM Bluetooth premium sound system
|Length Overall||33' 6'' / 10.21 m|
2.99 m (max)
Acceleration Times & Conditions
|Time to Plane||5.1 sec.|
|0 to 30||9.2 sec.|
|Props||SS Counter Rotating|
|Load||2 persons, 1/4 fuel, 2/5 water, 50 lbs. of gear|
|Climate||85 deg., 88 humid.; wind: 0-5 mph; seas: flat|
2 x 300-hp Mercury 6.2L
12 twin Mercury engine options from 300-hp to 430-hp
10 twin Volvo Penta engine options from 380-hp to 430-hp
Contents of Report
Chaparral designed the 337 SSX to meet the needs of two types of boaters: On one hand, she is made to appeal to owners of smaller bowriders who want to move up to a bigger boat that offers the features of a bowrider and overnighting capabilities. On the other, the 337 SSX is built for cruisers who want to move down to a more practical dayboat that still allows the occasional overnight stay.
The port console opposite the helm has a hinged door that opens to reveal the companionway to the forward cabin on the 337 SSX. Descend two stairs to the cabin and one finds a full-sized Ultraleather couch that converts into a double berth measuring more than 6’ (1.8 m) long. If an owner orders the optional 24” (61 cm) flatscreen TV with DVD player, it mounts on the front of the galley console, and guests can watch it while seated on the lounge. The small galley has a color-coordinated solid-surface countertop, a trash receptacle, and an optional stainless steel microwave. Another standard feature in the cabin, a cedar-lined hanging locker with built-in light.
In the molded private head, there was plenty of seated headroom on the porcelain toilet, and also a bench seat that folds down to cover the toilet. The compartment includes a stainless steel sink and pull-up shower and also a stainless steel handrail for safety. There’s an opening port (with frosted glass) with a screen and a power vent, which both help rid the area of steam after a shower.
Between the helm and portside consoles is a walkthrough to the bow with a lower door and hinged center windshield section. The bow passenger area offers a two-person seat to starboard and a wraparound lounge to port, with molded-in lockers beneath each. There was an integrated armrest for the lounge and extra lumbar padding for both forward-facing seats. A hatch that opens on a gas strut reveals a locker in the sole. A draining scupper in the lip of the opening is separate from the drain on deck and both direct water overboard. The outboard seat cushions to port cover a large insulated cooler that drains overboard. The center cushion can be removed to provide a skid-resistant step to the bow so crewmembers can tend to dock or anchor lines.
The dash is shrouded by an eyebrow finished in dark vinyl that gives the helm an upscale automotive look and feel and should minimize glare on the panel. We liked that the binnacle-mount shift/throttle controls to starboard are angled to make them more comfortable to reach from the helmsman’s position on the bench seat, though the Simrad NSS9 evo3 displays have a wide viewing angle and work well even with polarized sunglasses. Down low on the helm console, there’s an angled footrest.
The 337 SSX comes standard with another forward-facing bench seat to port opposite the helm. Abaft, an L-shaped lounge wraps around to port and to starboard is a one-person lounge. Instead of the jumper on the backside of the helm seat, our test boat had the optional wet bar console that adds a freshwater sink with pull-out faucet, a trash receptacle, a 54-quart (204 L) cooler and a 12V DC plug. A stainless steel refrigerator is an available upgrade.
A billet aluminum gate to starboard leads aft to the 337 SSX’s swim platform. An aft lounge will accommodate two to three people sitting up or it can be opened up to form a sunlounge where a couple of people can stretch out. Push a button at the helm and the whole seat structure raises to provide access to the engine compartment.
Chaparral offers the 337 SSX with a total of 12 twin sterndrive packages from MerCruiser and eight from Volvo Penta. The MerCruiser packages include twin 300-hp engines, 350-hp 6.2 L, 380-hp 8.2 MAG, or 430-hp 8.2 MAG HO engines with Bravo 3 or Bravo 3X twin-prop drives, which can be upgraded with DTS (Digital Throttle and Shift), Axius Premier joystick docking and SeaCore corrosion prevention. Volvo Penta options range from twin 300-hp engines or 350-hp 5.7-liter V8s to twin 380-hp or 430-hp V8s with Duoprop drives. These packages can be upgraded with DP Joystick controls, Trim Assist, Cruise, and Trip Computers.
We tested the Chaparral 337 SSX with twin 300-hp MerCruiser 6.2 L Bravo 3s. The boat has a dry weight of 10,200 lbs. (4,626 kg) and with two people, a quarter tank of fuel, two-fifths of the freshwater load and 50 lbs. (23 kg) of gear on board, we hit a top speed of 48.5 mph (42.2 knots) at 5100 rpm and burned 53.1 gph, giving the boat a range of 123 statute miles. Best cruise came in at 3500 rpm, where the boat ran 23 mph (20 knots) and burned 18.8 gph, resulting in a range of 165 statute miles.
On Board Systems
The 337 SSX comes with four batteries with automatic switches and a 50-Amp charger. The engine compartment has an automatic fire extinguishing system and Lenco electric trim tabs with position indicator lights come standard.
Base retail is $231,207.
Options to Consider
- • Eclipse gelcoat color scheme (Solid gelcoat hull with matching deck stripe and a painted metal flake color stripe.)
- • Hull color choices are White, Black, Biscayne Blue, Roulette Red or Stealth Gray. Stripe color choices are Silver, Yellow, Blue, Red, Green or Black
- • Cabin Accessory Package with logo pillows and towels
- • 10,000-BTU air conditioning with reverse-cycle heat
- • 24” LED flatscreen TV with remote, DVD Player, and cable dockside connection
- • Opening cabin portlights with screens
- • Stainless steel microwave, 120 volt
- • Bow filler air mattress
- • Cockpit gas grill
- • Snap-in carpet
- • Cockpit wet bar
- • Stainless steel refrigerator instead of cockpit cooler
- • Premium Wet Sounds stereo upgrade
- • Galvanized or polished stainless steel plow anchor
- • Power windlass with foot switches and a rode comprising 30’ (9.14 m) of chain and 200’ (61 m) of rope
- • Quick and Quiet performance exhaust system
- • Remote control spotlight
- • Two underwater lights
- • Water heater with heat exchanger (120v/60 cycle or 220v/ 50 cycle)
- • Westerbeke gas generator (120v/60 cycle or 220v/ 50 cycle)
- • Sunbrella color-coordinated bow cover
- • Sunbrella color-coordinated canvas package with hardtop. Includes aft curtain, bow cover, and storage bag
- • Sunbrella color-coordinated cockpit cover with hardtop
- • Lexan connector with side storage bag (Replaces windscreen and side curtains with hardtop)
The Chaparral 337 SSX appeals to owners moving up or down in their respective boating careers. For folks who want to overnight, she’s big enough that she could sleep a couple belowdecks in the cabin and an additional two people in the cockpit with the curtains installed. To enhance the boat’s versatility, owners can add the optional cockpit wet bar. With twin V-8 engines, she offers the performance that will appeal to someone looking for a boat with a sportier feel than a typical cruiser. She could handle tube-towing duties and the deep-V Extended V-Plane bottom design with 22-degrees of transom deadrise to handle bumpy conditions.