Editor’s Report by Capt. Peter d’Anjou
The Avid 21 FS is a 20’7” (6.27 m) aluminum bay boat fit out for fishing. The 21 FS has a fiberglass center console, livewell, baitwell and insulated fishbox. The package includes Yamaha 115-hp outboard, a Minn Kota trolling motor, Garmin GPS fishfinder, and single-axle aluminum trailer.
- Fiberglass center console
- 7-person, or 1,025 lbs. (465 kg), total passenger capacity
- Teleflex Baystar hydraulic steering
- Fore and aft casting decks
- Jump seats
The Avid 21 FS is a bay boat that with a 13” (33 cm) draft has the ability to fish in skinny water. The boat’s features include basic fishing equipment.
- TruTaper™ beam forward gunnel
- 21 gallon (79 L) livewell aft
- 13 gallon (49 L) baitwell forward
- 25 gallon (97 L) fishbox in bow
- High-speed aerator pickups
- Aft recirculator pump – 500 GPH with timer and Max air system
- Aerator pumps – 800 GPH with timer
- 1 1/8” standpipe overflow drains overboard
- LED livewell and baitwell lights
- Rod storage
- Plano tackle box storage
- Garmin Fishfinder
- Minn Kota trolling motor
- Eight rod holders
The Avid 21 FS has a 13-degree deadrise and a 4” (10 cm) setback at the transom.
Aluminum fishing boats in this size range are typically dual console boats, while fiberglass bay and flats boats tend to be center consoles, so this boat is a bit of a crossover.
“We’re not trying to reinvent the wheel, but we have more forward-thinking designs,” says Faulkner regarding the mix of materials, styles, and techniques used on the 21 FS.
The Avid 21 FS is constructed with 5052 aluminum alloy. Closed cell flotation foam is injected to comply with USCG flotation standards. The hull has a limited lifetime warranty.
Step up two steps from the center console onto the forward casting deck that is prewired for a trolling motor and can accommodate a pedestal chair. Rod storage lockers flank an insulated fishbox.
The fiberglass center console comes standard with a 7” Garmin Echo GPS/fishfinder, tilt wheel, and hydraulic steering.
BoatTEST has not tested the Avid 21 FS at the time of this report.
The Avid 21 FS has a LOA of 20’7” (6.27 m), a beam of 8’1” (2.46 m), and a draft of 1’1” (.33 m). The boat has a dry weight of 1,488 lbs. (675 kg) and a fuel capacity of 34 gallons (128.70 L). Freeboard at the transom is 25” (.63 m).
The base price is $34,995.
This includes the Yamaha VF115SHO 25” shaft engine, trailer, a Minn Kota Riptide 80 lb. (36 kg) Fourtrex hand control trolling motor with two batteries, Dual Pro 2 bank onboard charger, and Garmin Echomap 7” Plus GPS/FF with GT23M Transducer. A fuel-water separator is also included.
Optional Equipment to Consider
- Yamaha F150XB (Maximum horsepower rating of 150-hp)
- Stainless steel or aluminum prop
- OceanGrip anti-fatigue helm mat
- OceanGrip flooring, front and rear deck
- Console cover
- Leaning post cover
- Custom boat cover
- Garmin 9” Echomap Plus with GT51 transducer
- Atlas 6” hydraulic jack plate
- Fishing seat with pedestal
- Acrylic console glovebox
- Removable LP backrest with folding arms
- Powder coated seating upgrade (black or white)
- Aft swim platform with ladder
- Low pressure washdown system
- Dual battery switch
- Surface-mount compass
- Power pole 8’ Pro II with jack plate
- JBL stereo with two 6.5” JBL speakers
The trailer options available are a swing-away tongue, spare tire, 14” wheels, and brakes.
We like that the standard boat is equipped to fish right out of the box and that the options are generally, the same gear, only bigger, like the engine, Garmin touchscreen, or trolling motor.
The company has plans to produce three bay boats and three bass boats for the saltwater and freshwater markets over the next 12 months. They are expanding their workforce and plan to be building 1,500 boats a year by 2022. Given Faulkner’s experience working for his dad at NauticStar and their familiarity in finding boatbuilding talent in Amory, MS, we look forward to seeing new Avid boats come to life, and of course testing them.