Editor’s Report by Capt. Nick Martinez
- Telescoping frame
- Constructed from stainless steel and light-weight aluminum
- Fade-proof Sunbrella® marine canvas for durability
- Permanently mounts to either the forward or aft end of a boat’s top
- Extends or retracts in less than 30 seconds
- Available in sizes of 5', 6', and 7' (1.52 m, 1.82 m, and 2.13 m) in length
- Wind-tested up to 50 mph
BocaShade was developed by company founder and chief product engineer, John Cao, to protect his family and friends during long, fun-filled days on the water in the harsh Florida sun. The mission of BocaShade is to extend shade relief on boats up to 37’ (11.27 m) in length with a simple, manually-deployed awning that needs no additional supports and can work equally well underway.
BocaShade MDX™ is a patented system that is operated by manually pulling the frame open. For tops with high overhead clearance an undermount solution may be more desirable to facilitate opening and closing operations. The space saving design is fully retractable and easily stowed.
BocaShade can be installed either below or above the cabintop, hardtop, or T-top. The choice of top mount or undermount allows for flexibility in avoiding previously installed gear like an electronics box. BocaShade installations can easily be done by a DIY boater or professional installer. One key to installation is to ensure that the frame rails are mounted parallel to each other.
- Model MDX5 5' (1.52 m) shade length = $1,499 (+199 for over 63” width)
- Model MDX6 6' (1.82 m) shade length = $1,599 (+199 for over 63” width)
- Model MDX7 7' (2.13 m) shade length = $1,699 (+199 for over 63” width)
- Boot cover ($225.00)
Pricing is based on 63” (160.92 cm) wide Sunbrella - other widths available.
BocaShade is a valuable boating accessory. There are no spare poles or straps to store. It’s simple, easy to use, and provides effective shade relief for recreational boaters at a modest price.