The Mercury 150 Pro XS is a high-output 150-hp 4-stroke and Mercury Marine says the inline-4, naturally aspirated outboard meets the company’s standards for hole shot, top-end speed, and durability. Calling it a high-output outboard means Mercury can deliver peak power 10% higher than the rated horsepower and be in compliance with SAE standards. The company says it is designed for fiberglass and aluminum multi-species boats, bay boats, and pontoon boats.
|Type of Engine||4-Stroke|
|Number of Cylinders|
|Shaft Length Options||20" (508 mm) 25" (635 mm)|
|Shift Throttle Control|
|Recommended Fuel||87 Octane or 90 RON 10% Ethanol|
|Engine Monitoring System|
Mercury says the 150 Pro XS offers quick heavy-load acceleration from zero to 20 mph. The acceleration is likely helped in part by the outboard’s 456-pound (207 kg) weight as well as its 3.0-liter displacement, which Mercury says is the largest in the 150-hp category. Torque is important for good hole-shot times, and Mercury says its proprietary Transient Spark Technology optimizes the timing of the spark for improved performance.
Mercury gave the 150 Pro XS other features, such as a higher full-throttle RPM. Instead of 5800 rpm, the outboard will hit 6000, which increases the range of propeller pitches it can handle, according to the manufacturer. The outboard has a gearcase with 2.08:1 reduction, also delivering more torque to the prop shaft.
In addition, the gearcase has four additional water pickups on the nose of the lower-unit torpedo as well as the standard pickups located on the sides. Mercury says this design enhances flexibility in mounting the engine and allows the use of a jackplate while also letting the user trim the engine more aggressively without a loss of engine-cooling water flow.
The 150 Pro XS has a charging output of 60 amps, and idle-charge battery management capability, the better to manage battery drain from onboard electrical and electronic components, according to the manufacturer.
The 150 Pro XS provides superior protection against corrosion, according to Mercury, which cites its use of proprietary ultra-low-copper alloys. This is a claim that is generally accepted as true in the industry. Mercury provides a standard three-year warranty against damage due to corrosion.
- HP / kW: 150 / 110
- Engine type: 8-valve single overhead cam (SOHC) Inline 4
- Displacement (CID/CC): 183
- Displacement (L): 3.0
- Full throttle RPM: 5200-6000
- Air induction: Performance-Tuned Scroll Intake Manifold
- Fuel induction system: Computer Controlled Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI)
- Recommended fuel: Unleaded Regular 87 Octane Minimum (R+M/2) or 90 RON 10% Ethanol Maximum
- Recommended oil NMMA Certified FCW SAE 10W-30
- Engine protection operator warning system: SmartCraft Engine Guardian
- Compatible with SmartCraft digital technology: Yes
- Starting: Electric (turn-key)
- Controls: Mechanical throttle & shift
- Steering: Dual-cable mechanical hydraulic power steering
- Shaft length: 20" / 508 mm, 25" / 635 mm
- Dry weight (lb./kg): 456/207
- CARB star rating: 3
- Bore and stroke: 4.0" x 3.6" / 102mm x 92mm
- Ignition: SmartCraft ECM 07 Digital Inductive
- Cooling system: Water-cooled with thermostat
- Gear shift: F-N-R
- Trim system: Power Tilt/Power Trim
- Exhaust system: Through prop
- Oil Capacity: 6.3 qts / 6.0L