Chaparral designed their 277 SSX to be open and spacious for easy entertaining and comfort, and a deep cockpit for safety. She has an exceptionally deep cockpit both forward and aft for safety and a dry ride. It is a deluxe model and competitive with any of the high-end sportboats on the market in terms of fit-and-finish and build execution.
However, it is what is below the waterline that makes this boat perform so well. The extended running surface, 22-degree deadrise at the transom, reverse chines, and pronounced running strakes all combine to make the Chaparral 277 SSX both solid and easy to manage.
- Glass-dash with twin Simrad NSS7 multifunction displays
- Aft bench seating with reversible backrest that converts from full seating to a full sun pad
- Dual battery setup with crossover switch
- Enclosed fiberglass head compartment
- Cockpit table with dedicated storage and side mounts in aft cockpit and bow
- Premium stereo system with AM/FM, Bluetooth, auxiliary port, and digital display
- Forward seating with storage and center insulated ice chest beneath
- Helm and companion seating with exclusive seat levers for easy adjustments
- Dedicated storage for a 36-quart carry-on cooler
- Kevlar-reinforced hull laminate and a lifetime Limited Hull Warranty
|Length Overall||27' / 8.23 m|
Acceleration Times & Conditions
|Time to Plane||3.6 sec.|
|0 to 30||7.5 sec.|
|Props||Bravo III 24P|
|Load||2 persons, 3/8 load, no water, 50 lbs. of gear|
|Climate||61 deg., 47 humid.; wind: 5-10 mph; seas: calm|
1 x 350-hp 6.2 L Mercury
1 x 300-hp Mercury 6.2L 2.20 Bravo 3 Catalyst
1 x 350-hp Mercury 6.2L 2.20 Bravo 3 Catalyst
1 x 300-hp Mercury 6.2L DTS 2.20 Bravo 3 Catalyst
1 x 350-hp Mercury 6.2L DTS 2.20 Bravo 3 Catalyst
Three Mercury optional engines from 380-hp to 430-hp; Seven Volvo Penta optional engines from 300-hp to 430-hp
Watch Our Video
Contents of Report
The Chaparral 277 SSX is a sporty pleasure craft designed for having fun adventures on the water in coastal waters and big inland lakes. With the open design and plush upholstered seating, it is readily apparent Chaparral intended the 277 SSX primarily for entertaining and socializing.
She is designed and outfitted to appeal to owners looking for premium quality.
- • Advanced Helm. The twin Simrad 7” multifunction displays make up a glass-dash. The helm is well thought-out with switches logically arranged.
- • Multi-Density Foam Seating. The rich upholstery conceals multi-density foam that provides comfort and security.
- • Kevlar Reinforced Hull Laminate. With Kevlar reinforcement, Chaparral offers a Lifetime Limited Hull Warranty.
- • Reversible Aft Bench Seating. The aft bench offers forward-facing and aft-facing bench seating and can be converted to a sun lounge.
- • Helm and Companion Seating with Exclusive Levers. Both the helm and companion bucket seats adjust with unique levers built into the seat front. They alleviate the need to reach under the seat for adjustments.
- • Head Compartment. The standard head compartment comes with a Porta-Potti, freshwater sink, and an opening portlight with screen.
- • Wraparound Windshield. The wraparound windshield has a center opening walkthrough with a dual latch system and an air dam below for chilly morning runs.
- • Transom Grab Rail. The large stainless-steel grab rail on the transom has an integrated ski tow feature.
- • Cockpit Table. A cockpit table comes standard with dedicated storage and can be mounted on side mounts both in the aft cockpit or forward seating area.
- • LED Lighting. LED lighting in the cockpit, console storage, head compartment, navigational lighting, and engine compartment.
- • High Freeboard. This makes the 277 a fine boat to take offshore or to use on large inland lakes where a long fetch can create choppy conditions.
The Chaparral 277 SSX has a length overall of 27’ (8.23 m), a beam of 8’6” (2.59 m) and a draft of 35” (89 cm). With an empty weight of 5,500 lbs. (2,495 kg), 37% fuel, and two people on board, we had an estimated test weight of 6,100 lbs. (2767 kg).
The Numbers. With a single 350-hp Mercury 6.2 L V8 engine turning a Bravo 3 outdrive with 24 pitch prop sets, the test boat reached a top speed of 50.8 mph at 5415 rpm. The best cruise came in at 3500 rpm which translated to 29.9 mph.
At that speed, the 9.2 gph fuel burn converts to 3.2 mpg and a range of 233 statute miles, all while holding back 10% reserve of the test boat’s 80-gallon (303 L) total fuel capacity.
The test boat reached planning speed in an average of 3.6 seconds, accelerating to 20 mph in 5.4 seconds, and continued through to 30 mph in 7.5 seconds.
Accelerating Times and Test Conditions
Time to Plane: 3.6 sec.
0 to 20: 5.4 sec.
0 to 30: 7.5 sec.
Load: 2 persons, 37% fuel capacity, no water, 50 lbs. of gear
Conditions: 61-degrees, light wind (5-10 mph), no chop
Chaparral has 14 engine options available, ranging from 300 to 430-hp. Both MerCruiser and Volvo Penta engines are available. All engines have dual prop lower units.
The test boat performed exceptionally well as we have come to expect from the Chaparral brand. It takes an experienced operator to hold her in check since it does everything so gracefully, it is easy to let her romp. But, no matter how heavy-handed or aggressive the operator may get, she keeps her good manners.
High-speed turns are met with a gentle roll and just enough slide to grab the water while not causing passengers and gear to be thrown to one side. She does not “hop” in tight turns. Spray is kept to the sides by the chines keeping the ride dry.
Continuing the turn, there is virtually no chine walk, and even with the trim of the outdrive maintained, no prop ventilation was experienced. It is just flat-out an all-around good handling boat.
Extended V-Plane Hull
Chaparral’s design utilizes an extended running surface, allowing the "V-Plane" hull design to continue aft of the transom. This creates additional stability and buoyance under nearly all driving conditions. It reduces the bow rise on take off and helps get the boat on plane faster. It also permits an attractive stern design with a reverse transom sheer and tumble home in the stern quarters.
The Chaparral 277 SSX comes standard with a Porta-Potti. An optional electric head with a holding tank or an electric head with a holding tank and overboard discharge is available from Chaparral.
Federal law states that untreated human waste can NOT be discharged in inland or coastal waters. Sewage for a portable toilet or a holding tank (Type III MSD) cannot be discharged unless the vessel is in the ocean more than three miles offshore. Holding tanks and portable toilets can be emptied at approved pump-out stations or by approved pump-out vessels.
The accessory switches are arranged sensibly and within easy reach for the operator. The stitched vinyl-wrapped helm console gives the helm an automotive quality. The standard leather-wrapped steering wheel (which comes with a protective cover) is mounted on a tilt base and is rack and pinion-style steering.
Chaparral has standardized the tower arches, making the cross-over custom to each model.
Walkthrough. The walkthrough gate from the stern to the cockpit measures 15” wide.
Convertible Aft Bench Seating
Dual Fuel Fills. Chaparral went the extra-mile with two fuel fills mounted port and starboard on the aft-most gunnels, permitting easier decision-making when approaching the fuel dock. They both lead to a single tank.
Swim Platform. The covered re-boarding ladder with flush lift-and-lock latch reduces toe-busting tripping hazards. The integrated grab rail is a feature that is convenient for swimmers. There is also a stereo remote built into the transom. The test boat had the optional Plasdeck swim platform mat that provides excellent anti-skid characteristics and the optional pull-up cleats add function without adding additional tripping hazards.
The 2018 Chaparral 277 SSX comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the hull and a five-year Limited Warranty on factory installed components. The drive line (motor and outdrive) is backed by a warranty by the particular manufacturer.
We recommend that consumers read the fine print of all boat and engine warranties.
Options to Consider
- • EFX sports tower with Bimini top
- • Colored hull
- • Electric head with holding tank and overboard discharge
- • Forward seating filler cushion
- • Stainless-steel transom shower
- • Windlass with 200’ (61 m) of rode and 15’ (4.57 m) chain, through-the-stem anchor roller system and polished stainless-steel anchor
- • Trim tabs with indicator lights
- • Wetsounds System stereo upgrade
The overall design and execution of the 277 SSX is indicative of Chaparral’s team possessing a clear understanding of what their owners want in a mid-size bowrider day-boat. With the latest technology, comfortable seating, and innovative design, along with solid performance and handling, the Chaparral 277 SSX does not leave much to ask for.
The aft bench seating and generous cockpit seating make it easy to entertain a crowd. The large swim platform provides a functional venue for enjoying the water and participating in watersports.
The superlative ride and unflappable turning creates confidence for the operator. Combined with the luxurious feel and features, the Chaparral 277 SSX becomes a top choice for those seeking good times with friends and family on the water in a premium vessel.