The Grady-White Freedom 215 has Grady-White’s iconic sheer line and is ruggedly built for offshore fishing and cruising. The interior offers plenty of plush seating options and is efficiently laid out to take advantage of its dual-console configuration. With plenty of storage, the Freedom 215 is designed for the adventurous family that wants to do more with their fishing boat.
- SeaV2® Hull with sharp bow entry and progressive deadrise to 19 degrees at the transom
- Hydraulic Steering with 316-grade stainless-steel wheel and knob
- Dual Swim Platforms port and starboard
- Innovative Aft Jump Seats with a backrest that swing open with reversible, self-stowing cushions that form a walkthrough to swim platforms
- Lockable Head Compartment inside the port console with standard portable head
- Comfortable Seating throughout
- Dual Insulated Fish/Ice Boxes 56-quart (53 L) port and starboard with overboard drain
Acceleration Times & Conditions
|Time to Plane||4.2 sec.|
|0 to 30||8.9 sec.|
|Props||14 1/2 x 15 Reliance SDS|
|Load||2 persons, 1/2 fuel, full water, 228 lbs of gear|
|Climate||80 deg., 70 humid.; wind: 5-10 mph; seas: calm|
1 x 200-hp Yamaha F200
1 x 200-hp Yamaha Four Stroke
1 x 250-hp Yamaha Four Stroke
Watch Our Video
Today, many manufacturers are recognizing that offshore and inshore fish boats serve families that do more than fish. These boat builders have been introducing dual-console layouts to their model line-ups. Grady-White has always offered family-friendly models designed for the rugged North Carolina offshore waters and the Freedom 215 is no exception.
Designed with a sharp bow entry with a wide bow flare forward, the aggressive running strakes and hard chines are taken all the way to the stem. Add a 19-degree deadrise at the transom and the Grady-White Freedom 215 performs gracefully with a solid, smooth and dry ride in most sea conditions.
With standard and optional fishing features that would satisfy the most avid of anglers, Grady-White did not forget the comfort and sporty features that families enjoy when they are not engaged in fishing.
- Adjustable Seating. Standard helm and companion seats adjust horizontally and vertically. The test boat had the optional port lounge seat with a sliding/tilt backrest and storage drawer.
- Walkthrough Windshield. With tempered glass and standard starboard wiper.
- Captain Grady. Digital boat systems and operations guide for iPad and iPhone.
- Composite Stringer System. Water impervious.
- High-Grade Deck Hardware. 316-grade stainless-steel standard, including 7” (17.78 cm) pop-up cleats, rod holders, low-profile bow rail, drink holders and bow and stern eyes.
- Well Organized Helm Console.
The Grady-White Freedom 215 has an LOA of 23’6” (7.16 m) with swim platforms, a beam of 8’6” (2.59 m) and she draws 16” (40.6 cm) of water with her outboard up. She has a SeaV2® Hull designed by Ray Hunt and Associates and has a 19-degree deadrise at the transom. Our test boat was powered by a Yamaha F200 engine turning 14-1/2 x 15 Reliance SDS props.
We tested on an 80-degree day in smooth water and recorded an average top speed of 42.1 mph at 5800 rpm. The best cruise came at 3500 rpm where we traveled at 22.6 mph, burning 5.5 gph for 4.1 miles per gallon, giving us a range of 298 statute miles with a 10% fuel reserve.
When conditions permit, most people will probably want to go a bit faster. At 4000 rpm she went 27.1 mph, burning 7.1 gph and getting 3.8 mpg for a range of 274 statute miles with a 10% reserve.
Acceleration Times and Test Conditions
- Time to Plane: 4.2 sec.
- 0 to 20: 5.7 sec.
- 0 to 30: 8.9 sec.
- Prop: 14-1/2 x 15 Reliance SDS
- Load: 2 persons, 60% fuel capacity, no water, 228 lbs. (103.4 kg) of gear
- Conditions: 80 degrees, light wind (5 mph), light chop
Because of our smooth water conditions, it was difficult to really test the hull, but when jumping the photo boat’s wake, we found her entry to always be soft and sure-footed. Her SeaV2® hull has a variable deadrise bottom, which is sharp at the bow to easily cut through waves and then melds into the 19-degree deadrise at the transom for stability, efficiency, and speed.
The bow of the Freedom 215 offers traditional forward seating that is well executed.
The lounge seating measures 44” (111.8 cm) from console backrest to bow and 23” (58.4 cm) across. The footwell is 22” (55.9 cm) deep from the top of the seat cushion.
Port Side Console
The cockpit mid-way is 25” (63.5 cm) deep from the deck to the top of the coaming and has 28” (71.1 cm) of freeboard on the outside. Further forward, the freeboard increases to 36” (91.4 cm) and at the forward seating the freeboard is 37” (94 cm).
ABYC standards call for all boats to have a re-boarding ladder that can be reached by someone in the water. It is also to reach 22” (55.9 cm) below the waterline, as this standard ladder clearly does. This feature makes it so that the boat is able to be used for towing sports.
Options to Consider
- Boat covers
- Cockpit bolsters
- Cockpit freshwater shower with 10-gallon tanks and filler port
- Engine flush system
- 16-gallon livewell
- Portside lounge seat with storage drawer
- Forward Sun Platform insert
- Raw water washdown system with hose
Prices vary, as each dealer can set its own prices. However, every dealer pays the same price to the factory for each boat no matter what the dealer’s volume. This helps small dealers stay competitive with large ones, and also means that on the used boat market there will not be give-away deals that lower prices for an entire model. Grady-White was one of the first builders to institute such a policy and it is one of the reasons the boats have such a good reputation.
The Grady-White Freedom 215 continues the legacy of Grady-White’s reputation for solid, well-thought-out boat design, intelligent engineering, and attention to detail. Every inch of the Freedom 215 shows that Grady-White understands its customers and how they use their boats.
Families that love to fish but still like to use their boat for everything else on the water will find that the Freedom 215 can meet their expectations. With the Freedom 215 properly optioned, the whole family can enjoy this boat.